Sunday 2 December 2007

More formats, deep thoughts, 2012 & a baby

I spent a couple of hours this week looking at a format for action plans with Kate Griffiths of sportstructures, and have hopefully come up with a template that is usable for these types of documents.

Kate and I also had a conversation about extending the work done for school engagement in England into Scotland. That will involve her understanding about the different systems up here and so I've arranged for a couple of conversations with sportscotland and Learning & Teaching Scotland. I also wrote to National Council and got back a response from Alan Wood
for three activities in the Northern Area.

I also attended a Board Meeting of the Scottish Sports Association. Here we discussed the legislation going through the Scottish Parliament about children and vulnerable adults and it is clear that there will be continuing work to be done on procedures. We also had an interesting start to a conversation on what legacy is in terms of 2012 and 2014 - this resulted on some deep thoughts to answer that simple question and I suspect the debate will continue for some months.

My last attendance of the week was at a talk from UK Sport on how they will monitor the National Governing Bodies in the run up to 2102 and the GNAS Performance Unit is involved in the pilot of that activity. They also shared their thoughts on what Elite Centres should look like and their observation of what is happening in China in this respect.

I write this on a train back from York after giving my 8 day-old grandson a bath and wonder if his grandfather's generation will leave him with a country dedicated to world-class performance in sport and, more generally, in life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very useful info Bob.

Thanks